The Averoff Museum was inaugurated on 27 August 1988 by its founder, Evangelos Averoff-Tossizza, who had long wished to create a small yet exceptional Museum in his hometown. The Collection’s main corpus comprises the 200 works by Greek artists of the 19th and 20th centuries contributed by the founder and bequeathed to the Foundation, together with the three-storey building that he built especially to house his Collection. The fact that the Collection was created from the outset with the intention of founding a Museum also determined to a certain extent its museological character.
In 1994, the Museum building underwent expansion and the New Wing opened. The facilities were updated, new exhibition galleries and auxiliary spaces were created, and the collection was significantly augmented. In 1995, the Children’s Workshop of the Museum began operating. In 1997, the Dimitrios Tsamis Gallery was inaugurated to house an important body of prints and drawings by Greek artists from the period 1920-1960.
Today, thirty years after its founding, the works of the Collection have greatly multiplied in number and the Museum organizes major temporary exhibitions and events on an annual basis. The Museum currently attracts some 15,000 visitors a year from all over Greece and many school groups from the area.